Studying from Home
- We want all of you back at school in one piece when we re-open;
- Remember that this is NOT a school holiday;
- You should follow any instructions given by the government about where you can and can’t go whilst away from school;
- CBBC Newsround is a good place to find out the latest advice – 4pm on CBBC or watch on iPlayer.
- COVID-19 (coronavirus) is most harmful to older people; children and young people can catch it but the symptoms may not always be as severe;
- This does NOT mean that you can ignore advice as you can carry the disease and easily spread it to members of your family, friends or teachers who may become seriously ill;
- You can help to control the spread of the virus by following advice to limiting the amount you go out, avoiding large groups, and reducing time in public places;
- It is the responsibility of ALL of us to do this;
- A small number of you have parents who will need to go to work as they have jobs in healthcare or other key jobs. This means you might need to come in to school but the clear message is if you CAN stay safety at home you should.
Advice from the NHS on staying at home
BBC – How do germs spread?
Looking after your family
- This is a worrying time for both young people and adults;
- You can make it easier by offering to help out at home, for example by doing housework or playing with younger siblings;
- It is especially important that we look after older people. Unfortunately, this might mean not seeing older family members for a period of time;
- Keep in touch with family members who don’t live with you through your devices (e.g. family FaceTime calls).
Use of Email
- You will be able to contact your teachers via email if you need help with the work they have set for you or are worried about something;
- Please be polite – write an email to a teacher in the same respectful way that you would speak to them in person (Sir / Miss, etc);
- You should only email your teachers during the normal school day, and you should not expect them to reply immediately!
- The internet is a brilliant place to connect with others, especially during long periods of time at home and away from friends;
- But make sure you take the usual sensible precautions: don’t engage with people you don’t know in real life, don’t share anything you wouldn’t want sharing further, and don’t give in to pressure;
- If you’re worried about anything you see online, talk to a parent or carer.
- Reading is something we consider reading to be very important;
- This still applies during the school closure;
- We expect all students to do a minimum of 30 minutes of reading during every school day;
- You can find some suitable books here: https://www.researchify.co.uk/audiobooks.html;
- World Book Online has a collection of over 3,000 ebooks and audiobooks available for free for you to access at home: worldbook.kitaboo.com;
- Accelerated Reader: ukhosted51.renlearn.co.uk;
- Scribd is offering a 30-day free membership that allows you to enjoy an unlimited amount of books and audiobooks: https://scribd.com/.
- We expect all work set by your teachers to be completed;
- All work should be completed either online (e.g. Hegarty Maths), submitted via Moodle, or in the appropriate exercise book;
- If required to work on paper in your exercise books it should be presented to the same high standards expected in lessons – title (underlined), date, neat writing;
- Your teachers will be checking whether or not your work has been completed to a high standard.
Preparing to study from home
- Work set by your teachers will be accessed via Moodle or Classcharts;
- You will be set tasks regularly by your subject teachers;
- If you have no access to the internet at home please come down to the staff room during period 5 to collect some work.
- Seneca www.senecalearning.com (all subjects)
- Bedrock app.bedrocklearning.org (vocabulary)
- Hegarty Maths www.hegartymaths.com (maths)
- BBC Bitesize www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize (all subjects)
Additional home learning tasks can be found at homelearningtimetable.com
Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in C:\Apache24\htdocs\php\includes\siblings-block.php on line 18